type='text/javascript'/> A Latte Talk: Only so many hours...

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Only so many hours...

Howdy! It's been a while since I wrote here. Time is whizzing by. I have found myself writing blog posts in my head, and have amassed so many different posts in there, I fear I will never catch up. Along with being behind on writing, I've been helplessly behind on reading the blogs I subscribe to. So if it's been eons since you received a comment from me, I'm trying to catch up. Really I am. Don't be offended.

The main thing that's been going on in my house that has been keeping me from blogging is the Olympics. I am exhausted. I drink far too much coffee these days. How many times have I mindlessly walked downstairs and sat on the couch at 9:00 and not gotten up until 11:00 or 11:30. Or 12:00. And, I can not blog and watch TV at the same time. As I have mentioned before, I am not a multitasker. One thing at a time, please.

In fact, I don't usually watch any TV at all. Often when I tell people I blog, the question I get is, "How do you have time to do that??"

My response? "I blog while everybody else in the world is watching TV."

So, it stands to reason that the Olympics would put a small halt to my blogging. Priorities. Humph.

The Olympics have affected the behavior of other people in my family, too.

We have had perpetual races going on. With pained looks on the scrunched up faces.

The floor routine:

And, she sticks it!!

The Olympics wouldn't be complete without some high bar:
This sequence got a little tricky. There ARE 2 arms and 2 legs in there:

And, we don't really know what to call this one, but it is a favorite. Ava's just a bit jealous she can't do it. "That one is so COOL!" she shouts as I'm taking this picture:

These Olympic sports occurred in an area of my house that was, until recently, non-existent. Well, it was there... as a basement with cement floor and cement block walls. Our basement now has... CARPET! And WALLS! And LIGHTS! And... centipedes. But let's not go there, shall we? Anybody know a good non-toxic way to kill centipedes without actually having to see them or touch them or scream at them?? If so, do tell.

Anyway, I digress. The Energizer bunny hubby of mine has been working on finishing our basement literally for a whole year. He took it from this:


to this:


to this!!


It's glorious and such a wonderful space for our family to relax.

Thanks for working so hard, Matt. I don't know how you do it.

OK. So the Olympics are officially over. I will be hereby re-entering the land-o-blog. See you soon.

8 comments:

Kelly @ Love Well said...

First, nice basement. Well done, Matt. If home improvement were an Olympic event, surely you'd get the gold.

Second, I say that ALL THE TIME about blogging versus TV. Which is why I resist all attempts from my sister to get me to watch the hot new TV show this year and why I didn't watch even one minute of the Olympics.

I promise I'm still an American.

Heather of the EO said...

I say the blogging versus TV thing too!
And yes, NICE basement. Get the wiggles out down there, right?

Oh Kelly, I didn't even watch the Olympics either! So bad!

Anonymous said...

I love the basement. I would love to have something like that here in Oregon for rainy days. I hope you have many years of enjoyement down there. Nice job Matt.
I think there is a term for the tired folks to to the Olympics. Can't remember what it was called but I am tired too. Wasn't Michael Phelps amazing! I watched every race. I miss swimming. Well I hope you catch up on your sleep.
Michelle

tiffany said...

Way to go, Matt! Ya know, I have never actually seen your basement. Unfinished or finished. Not even when my hubby was helping with it! I oooed and ahhhed over your main level. Now I can oooo and ahhh over your basement!

Anna - Three Sneaky Bugs said...

Oh! I'm so terribly jealous! Your basement looks great. I can't believe that's a basement is this neighborhood of 1920's houses. It looks like a new house. I can't wait until we're done with ours.... maybe in 12 years or so. You know when the kids won't need a play room anymore.

Sarah said...

Yeah for Matt!! The basement does look amazing!! How'd ya like to come and do ours? I'm not sure that Bernhard is ready for that task...

Allison said...

I'm with you on usually no TV and then binge on the Olympics thing. Ellie's new favorite games sound very similar to your girls': floor routine, bars, rowing, diving, and swimming. I'm just sorry we didn't watch the rhythmic gymnastics. While I loved the Olympics, I'm ready to be done with TV for a while.

Dawn S. said...

Looks so awesome! So glad that Matt is pictured simply SITTING ON HIS BUM. A rare sight indeed.