type='text/javascript'/> A Latte Talk: Mommy is Out of Order

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Mommy is Out of Order

I have 5 precious minutes to myself, doing my business in the bathroom, and there are 3 annoying sweet kids at the door, asking me (in no particular order), to "button my shirt", "help get the cap off the purple marker", and "cuddle". All at the same time. All to a mommy who is currently "out of order". Doesn't occur to them to ask DADDY who is sitting on the couch 5 feet away enjoying his mocha in peace.

And, why would a child (understand this is a purely hypothetical child, no relation to myself in any way whatsoever...) leave the kitchen table where she is eating breakfast with her father (who I don't even know), come to the bathroom door where the child's mother is taking a shower (rumor has it this mother doesn't even always take a shower every day!!!), and ask her to please get her a cup of WATER????!!!

Just let that one sink in for a minute.

Uh-huh.

Why is it that kids always ask MOM for everything? Is this just me?

I'm going to have an "out of order" sign made.

And teach my kids what it means.

And use it.

9 comments:

Jenna said...

How about you and me making some screen tee-shirts for Mommies.
"not in service", "do not disturb", "(potential) crime scene-do not cross", "stop", "if you can read this you're too close"...ahhhh...this momma likes her space.

Unknown said...

"I'm not your real mom"

Queen B said...

The joys of motherhood...

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I say go with Joel's response. That made me laugh.

I've been known to reply: "Your Mommy's not here right now!"

I also feel free to refer them back to their father if he's in the house.

Anonymous said...

I love Joel's response. It is the bathroom/shower/and phone thing that gets me. Sign me up for one of your Out of order signs or tee shirts. And then you can say Here's your sign (Adam Sandler's song)to the kids. Let me know how it works.
Michelle

Dawn Shelton said...

wellllll, Joel's response might be funny, but probably wouldn't work too well for this adoptive mama! :)

Unknown said...

Never fails ... when the tip of my toe hits the piping hot, bubbly water of my whirlpool, here come the kiddos to discuss major issues like, "Can you straighten my hair tomorrow?" or "Can you do flash cards with me? "(when Daddy's downstairs on the couch) or "Let me tell you what so-and-sop did at school today?" (when I've already asked them what happened at school today and they gave me the standard "same-old, same-old" answer). Anyway, I feel your pain. I do feel guilty locking the door though.

Missy said...

Today, at Ingram's party, I was rushing around like a chicken with it's head cut off. There was a daddy, two grandmas, a grandpa, an aunt, an uncle, and numerous surrogate mothers all around. And I got asked 15 times for help from my kids. Even when the answer was repeatedly no, I was STILL the first person they asked.

Jodie Wolfe said...

If you have a few minutes, I would love your input on my blog in regards to the ten struggles that Christian women face. Thank you!