type='text/javascript'/> A Latte Talk: Preach it, Sistah!

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Preach it, Sistah!

My girls have been singing their Bible verses from church. We have 12 of the beginner foundation verses on a CD, set to music, and they're catchy. They get sung a LOT, at the top of their lungs, in our urban neighborhood where the houses stand 10 feet apart. The windows are open, and with the close proximity of the homes, I estimate that 5 houses in either direction plus a few across the alley/street can hear word for word the scripture my girls are singing.

There's "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth" Genesis 1:1

In the world, a controversial subject, but hey, preach the truth, girls!

Or "A friend loves at all times" Proverbs 17:17a

This one is perfectly harmless. In fact, many of our extremely liberal neighbors would smile, thinking about how we're teaching our children about world peace.

How about "Do all things without grumbling or questioning".

I like this one. I like this one a lot. Mamas, of the songs on this CD, this is my favorite verse. It gets quoted a latte in my house.

The one that gets sung the most, and the loudest, remarkably, is "For the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish" Psalm 1:6.

I giggle and get a wee bit shy when the girls are outside belting this one out. I'll admit it. It makes me uncomfortable. They're the fire and brimstone preschool preachers. No fear. No shame.

I believe it, and they love to sing it, so I don't stop them. And who knows what people are hearing that may open up a door, a conversation, who knows.

So as we walk through Target, Corene is singing (and Ava is preaching):
"Every good gift (Ava: Like that BARBIE!)
and every perfect gift (Ava: Like that princess dress!)
is from above" (Pointing up in the sky with great dramatics). (Ava: And that's GOD up there!)
James 1:17 (Ava: That's in the Bible!)

And I clench my teeth and smile. And I try to pray: Lord, use it. And make me fearless, too.

3 comments:

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Precious. I love all these VBS songs. My daughter loves to belt them out while grocery shopping.

tiffany said...

Ha! Yes, the good gifts of Barbie. :) Jeneva sings those same songs at the top of her lungs in our yard sometimes too. She's better at evangelism than I am! BUT, she doesn't know it's evangelism I guess.

Krista said...

I stumbled across your blog; one click then another and I am sooo glad I did. Your girls sound precious! Wouldn't it be awesome if we could be as evangelistic as our kids! My son goes to school and takes on the roll of prayer warrior / preacher / teacher / evangelist. Maybe that's why Jesus loves the little children!

Have a blessed day, Krista