type='text/javascript'/> A Latte Talk: Foody Friday - Sides

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Foody Friday - Sides

Welcome to Foody Friday!! Take 2!

Today's theme is side dishes. Actually, this is a very self-serving post. I am often at a loss to serve with whatever I make as an entree. So I wanna know what you do! What's your favorite?

My default side that's really yummy is baked french fries. It was birthed for 2, no actually 3 reasons:

1)I love potatoes salt. ON potatoes.

2)I love Tater Tots or extra-crispy Ore-Ida anything. But I don't like all the partially-hydrogenated oils in them. I'm a-tryin' to be healthy.

3)Tater Tots are a couple bucks for one serving smallish bag. Plain ole spuds are a couple bucks for one ginormous bag. I'm a-tryin' to be frugal.

Voila. Good-bye Ore-Ida, hello Spud.

Preheat oven to 425. Cut 3-4 potatoes into desired shape (I never peel them). We usually do wedges with the Pampered Chef crinkle cutter. They look purty that way. I've also done thinner strips, but that takes more cutting. I'm lazy.

Combine 3T Olive oil, and some combination of seasonings in a small bowl - I like Oregano, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Or even just seasoned salt is good.

Now, there's a fork in the road here. There are 2 ways to do this: the right way or my way. I'll start with the right way, and then I'll tell you how I do it. Cause I'm lazy.

Right way:

Toss the potatoes with the oil/spice mixture and arrange on a baking sheet. Bake for 30-45 minutes (for wedges, less for thin strips), stirring halfway through.

My way, because I never leave myself enough time:

Microwave cut potatoes for 6-8 minutes, enough to make them a little soft but not too soft. THEN toss with the oil/spice mixture and bake for 15-20 minutes (for wedges).

That's it! Yummy.

My picture from the pork chops last week actually has these french fries in them, so you can look at the pic here.

Little review of the rules:

1)Write a blog post about food. Link to this blog in your post.
2)Come here and add your name and the URL to your post. Next to your name, in ( ) write your recipe title. :)
3)Leave a comment.

Have fun!


11 comments:

Jackie said...

Jenny...yum.....those fries look delicious. I make something very similar for my family, and they can't get enough of them. My hubby tells me he likes the baked version as much as the fast-food fried version, which is music to my ears.
Thanks!

J mom said...

I am glad I decided to add two. It looks like potato sides are a winner in everyone's family!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I new to Food Friday and it really is a great idea. My husband fixed a similar dish on Sunday when we had our in-laws over for turkey sandwiches. I will tell him about your version. It sounds really yummy!

Elena said...

Sorry,for the wrong link. I found out what I did wrong. So, I will do it right next time! =)

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I make sweet potatoes the same way, Jen. I usually cut them into strips (peeled; sweet potato peels are TOUGH), toss them with olive oil and salt and viola. Yummy and nutritional and (mostly) kid-friendly. I just call them "funny orange French fries."

Jen D said...

Thanks for another good Foody Friday--I'm excited to try all the recipes!

Jen D said...

We should do a dessert foody friday soon...yummy! :)

Jenny said...

Yes, yes. Remind me if it's been a while since we've done a dessert because I'm not a sweet tooth... and I realize I'm in the minority. The vast minority. So, next week we'll do Dessert :) Matt will thank you, Jen!.

Yvette said...

Yikes. I messed up the URL the first time. So sorry.

How nice to get some more recipes to try! The fries sound fabulous.

tiffany said...

I'm excited to try some more new faves this week. Thanks for this great idea, Jenny!

Dawn S. said...

Faux, I didn't post a recipe this week. I was just happy I **hack** got any post done!! Hope you love me anyway!