type='text/javascript'/> A Latte Talk

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Well, there was no surgery today because of...


and...
Isaac has mild athsma, and they won't do general anesthesia if he's wheezing, and after a feverish 24 hrs, he started wheezing. Darn. Bummer.

YIPPEE!!!!!

Yesterday, as I felt the babe's head and knew that his fever was not a small one, I was relieved, hoping we'd have to cancel. When I got him up from his nap and heard that unmistakable wheeze, my insides did a little jump. How terrible is THAT??!!


I don't want my little sweet Isaac to go limp in my arms, and be taken away from me to have pointy needles shoved down his tear ducts. That sounds so dramatic, but any of you moms who have had a child have any sort of surgery that requires general anesthesia KNOW what I am talking about. When that anesthesia starts, and that medicine starts going through their blood, they go limp, they feel lifeless.

It's FREAKY, people. Freak-y.

So, as foolish as it is (we will reschedule for a few short weeks from now...) here's one mama bear that's thankful I don't have to go through that today. I'm gonna hold him tight and nurse him back to health with a thankful heart.

Because when that anesthesiologist and surgeon look me in the eye, I want to poke them in the eye with something sharp and say, "Don't you DARE hurt him".

I know.

Mama Bear mode isn't always logical.

6 comments:

Yvette said...

I totally get "Mama Bear" mode.

Both my kids have had a clogged tear duct. Both cleared up by the time they were a year old though so that they didn't have to have the surgery. I can imagine how hard it would be to send a child into surgery even though you know it's good for them.

I'm sorry that your poor pumpkin has asthma even though it did get you out of surgery today. Johnny had asthma as a child.

Praying that Mama Bear will feel comfort in sending her cub through surgery in a few weeks.

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I feel for you, Mama Bear. My kid have never undergone something that dramatic. The immunizations they get that first year still freak me out. (Why hasn't some scientist invented pain-free needles yet?!?)

Glad you earned a reprieve. Will be praying for you next time.

tiffany said...

Wow! I can imagine that would be freaky seeing your little babe go totally limp! Poor baby Isaac!!! I will be praying for you and for him as he has surgery in a couple of weeks.

Missy said...

Um, when I first glanced at that picture I thought it was a pregnancy test....

Missy said...

When have you been thru this before?

When Eva Rose had her eyes poked, my husband went back when they put her under instead of me, on suggestion of the nurse. Afterwards, he told me it was the right decision because it would have totally freaked me out.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh, when my little boy came out of surgery, I have never seen anyone recovering from anesthesia. He cried and flailed about until my heart broken into right there. I just wanted to crumble. But everything was all right. I hope and pray your little guy does just fine. And you, too, Mom!